Monday, April 1, 2013

Detox Day 1

I decided to do a detox cleanse for several reasons. I began working out and eating healthier, plus being a vegetarian, at the start of the year. At first I lost several pounds, was seeing results, and feeling great about it, but soon the results seemed to begin to slack off and I wanted something slightly more drastic that I could do to boost them. Also, I am running a 5K this Saturday and thought it would be a good time to start feeling great.
Of course the first thing I did was research. I had to find a cleanse that didn't require eating meat. I found several good sources, such as the Dr. Oz 2-Day Detox and the GM Cleanse but ultimately ended up getting most of my ideas from an About.com article. As with anything, though, it is important to research and compile the information into something that seems reasonable and doable.
Saturday night we went to WalMart where I spent too much time and money picking out fresh fruits and vegetables, almond milk, and gluten-free crackers.
And that's about all that I will consume for the next week.
The trick (to the detox I have chosen)? Cut out sugar, gluten, and dairy. Sounds pretty simple, right? It is. But what does it leave? Fruits, veggies, and gluten-free grains such as quinoa and whole grain rice.
So it's smoothies, fruit, salads, veggies, quinoa, rice, tree nuts, and hummus.

Day 1:
Breakfast:
Tropical Breakfast Smoothie
Blend 1 20-oz. can of pineapple chunks and juice, 1 banana, 1/2 cup of orange juice, 1 tablespoon of lime juice, and 1/4 cup of coconut with 1/2 cup of ice. I didn't have coconut so it wasn't quite as sweet as it should have been. This makes two pretty good servings.



Snacks:
15 almonds, gluten-free crackers with hummus, carrot and celery sticks with hummus, a (not-quite-ripe :/) plum, and fruit strips.

Lunch:
I was in a rush to get to work, so I had some gluten-free coconut and chia seed cereal with coconut milk.

Dinner:
Quinoa with steamed carrots, broccoli, and peas.



By 9:30 I was craving coffee, but I avoided the campus center at school. About halfway through the day I could feel the effects of changing my diet and having no sodas or coffee or sugary stuff. I was tired, had a pounding headache, and crashed on the couch for about an hour this evening. I forced myself to get up, though, and go outside to enjoy the weather and take a walk/run around campus to help my body emit those toxins through sweat. Feeling better now :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So proud of you and your healthier eating lifestyle. I am just not sure about such a major detox right before a 5k?! Normally you should be resting tons more than usual to allow your body to heal and cleanse.

Emma said...

Thank you! I am definitely going to be careful, but exercise is a crucial part of detoxing. As long as I feel good and don't overexert myself, I think I will be fine.

Shawna said...

Aldi's for fruit and veg!

Shawna said...

Are you eating protein? What about beans?